Vibration of a cantilever beam

Thread index  |  Previous thread  |  Next thread  |  Start a new discussion

RSS FeedRSS feed   |   Email notificationsTurn on email notifications   |   3 Replies   Last post: January 18, 2013 6:52am UTC
Dhiman Mallick

Dhiman Mallick

January 17, 2013 11:57am UTC

Vibration of a cantilever beam

Hi,
I am trying to model a beam oscillating under external vibration condition.
I have kept one end of the beam fixed. I have tried applying different kind of boundary conditions to solve the problem.
1. applied accelaration (10m/s2) on the fixed end and did the freq domain analysis.
2. applied accelaration (10m/s2) on the entire structure and did the freq domain analysis.

but i did not get the expected displacement of the beam.

can anyone suggest what would be the appropiate boundary conditions and analysis method for such case?

Reply  |  Reply with Quote  |  Send private message  |  Report Abuse

Ivar Kjelberg

Ivar Kjelberg

January 17, 2013 8:43pm UTC in response to Dhiman Mallick

Re: Vibration of a cantilever beam

Hi

the vibration load aspect is not trivial, you can either define a gravity = body force rho*a (a=acceleration) applying onto your model, with one boundary fixed, or add a "large Mass" object that can slide onto which you apply a force of given F=M*a with a the acceleration.

But the transfer functions are not exactly the same. Check the Forum, it has been discussed a few times
--
Good luck
Ivar

Dhiman Mallick

Dhiman Mallick

January 17, 2013 9:22pm UTC in response to Ivar Kjelberg

Hi,
Thanks for your response.
I have indeed applied body load (i.e. g*acceleration). But my question is to get appropiate solution, what kind of study should I do? Should I apply the body load in the form of a sinusoid and do time dependent analysis with t defined for more than one time period (1/first eigen freq)? Is that correct or any other kind of simulation setup is needed?

Thanks in advance.

Ivar Kjelberg

Ivar Kjelberg

January 18, 2013 6:52am UTC in response to Dhiman Mallick

Hi

I would propose harmonic development (frequency sweep swith a constant force amplitude (or a frequency dependet if you want to scan a PSD (power spectral density) distribution)

--
Good luck
Ivar

Rules and guidelines